Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Veneta Donaldson: "I Saw Her Standing There"


Veneta Donaldson with niece, 1957

Veneta had no children. She was 20 years old when my mother was born, so she was like a second mother to her. The photo above shows my aunt holding me as a baby. She and her husband were very strongly present in my life, and after my mother passed away, Veneta was a second mother to me, too.


I Saw Her Standing There
by Veneta Donaldson

I saw her standing there,
A quiet child with eyes of brown
And countenance so dear. I knew
Her from a long-remembered prayer.

I saw her standing there,
This child born of my reverie
Then suddenly she was no more –
A vision sweet beyond compare.


The next poem in this series can be found here: I Often Wonder.

This is part of a series of poems by Veneta Donaldson. A brief bio and the beginning of the series can be found here: Veneta Donaldson: A Poet in the Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment