Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cornbread



Everybody loves this cornbread. After about 10 years of trying various recipes, I found one that was good enough to stick with. It's a moist, sweet cornbread like my grandmother used to bake. When we gave up eggs, I developed this eggless version of Fanny Farmer's "Rich Corn Cake." It's great served with chili, or with black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.

CORNBREAD

1 cup yellow cornmal
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. egg replacer
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sour cream (milk can be substituted)
2/3 cup milk
4 Tbsp. butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. Butter a 9”x9” pan.

In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients, and mix thoroughly with a wire whisk.

In another bowl, mix the melted butter into the sour cream. Blend in the milk. Pour the sour cream mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients, mixing quickly. Spread into the buttered pan.

Bake until browned on top, about 30-40 minutes.

Serves 6 - 8

Note: to make cornbread crumbs for stuffing, bake in a 10” x 15” jelly roll pan for 15-20 minutes, or until browned on top. It yields about 8 cups of crumbs.

Adapted from Fanny Farmer's Rich Corn Cake recipe.

4 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to trying this. I keep searching for a good corn bread recipe but I have not found one I like yet. so would I just use one egg instead of the egg replacer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to use eggs, leave out the egg replacer, reduce the milk to 1/4 cup, and add 2 beaten eggs to the sour cream mixture. Bake it at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until browned on top. This is how I made it for many years.

    You will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You. I will certainly give this recipe a try when I go get some more corn meal. we are out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have actually made this a few times with oats instead of cornmeal. It works out great--not as good as corn, though.

    ReplyDelete