Thursday, January 5, 2012

Black-Eyed Pea Soup



This is a great way to eat black-eyed peas. Even folks who think they hate black-eyes like it. Serve it with cornbread, for a New Year's meal.

BLACK-EYED PEA SOUP

1 pkg. (16 oz.) frozen black-eyed peas (or fresh)
1 med. onion, cut into 1/16ths
1 lg. carrot, diagonally sliced, 1/8”
6 cups water
2 cups tomato juice (or 15 oz. tomato sauce)
2 tsp. salt (more to taste)
2 tsp. dried thyme
10 shakes Tabasco sauce
2 lg. tomatoes, diced (or 15 oz. can)

In a large soup pot, Combine ingredients, except fresh tomatoes, and simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender (about 30-40 minutes).

Turn off heat, add fresh tomatoes, and cover until ready to serve.

Serves 8

2 comments:

  1. You have such pretty dishes. :) I don't think I have ever made black eyed peas, I used to eat them as a kid and liked them but its not something I find often when I am at the store so I have not ever sought them out. I will have to get some and give them a try. We like a lot of other kinds of beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, ma'am. These are actually bits and pieces that came from the kitchen of a dear-departed aunt... the one who wrote all that poetry on the blog.

    Look in the freezer section for a bag of black-eyed peas. There's usually a run on them around New Year's, but around here they come back into stock in a few weeks. I love to make this soup with fresh black-eyes, but we have to wait, since they are summertime southern peas (farmer's market mostly).

    ReplyDelete