Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I Scream, You Scream...


... we all scream for rice cream! Wha?? This is my can't-digest-milk version of homemade ice cream. It's made with rice milk instead of cow's milk or cream, but you can use the real milk-stuff if you want. The peaches are from our local farmers' market. Yum.

FRESH PEACH RICE CREAM

1/2 cup fresh peach pieces
1-2 Tbsp. honey or vegan sweetener
1/2 cup rice milk

In a measuring cup, mash the honey and peaches together with a fork. Be careful not to add too much honey, because it can overpower the taste of the peaches. Add rice milk and stir well.

Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to directions. I use a Donvier.

Makes 2 servings, or 1 large serving.

6 comments:

  1. Mmm, that sounds delicious. I'm also unable to digest milk, so I'm going to have to try this recipe when I can get my hands on an icecream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be able to find a Donvier for cheap on eBay or Craigslist.

    BTW, all of the posts on this here blog that are tagged, "ice cream" actually feature rice milk. The trick is to put plenty of fruit and/or juice in the mixture to make more of a sherbet. That way the rice milk's... uh... lightness isn't such a let-down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I bet it would work just fine with soy milk, too, which is what I use. I'd have to omit the honey, but I bet I could use a tablespoon or so of agave, or maybe even crunch up a couple of my stevia leaves.

    We'll be picking up our fresh peaches for canning and freezing in Palisade next month, so this is very timely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soy milk would probably taste even better than rice milk because it's richer. Alas, I am also allergic to soy, so I'm very thankful for rice milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I just read your posts, you have a lot of yummy food ideas, I'll probably be trying to use them sometime in the near future. I also would like to say that I absolutely love your cat, it's sooo cute, I have several cats but none that big so far.

    Visit me anytime at

    www.willowmonroe.blogspot.com
    www.willowmonroe.wordpress.com

    Willow Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you have kittens, Willow? Have fun!! My kitty in the picture is actually a small adult cat, with lots of big fluff. So she looks much larger than she is. Our other cat, a recently adopted sweet, old manx, is finally getting comfortable here. I think I posted a pic of him a couple of months ago.

    ReplyDelete