Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mango-Lime Sherbet (Vegan)



Here's another yummy flavor for my summertime standard, "rice cream." It's made with lots of fruit plus rice milk instead of actual milk--although you could easily use real milk if you want. Like watermelon, mango sherbet can be too bland unless you add an extra flavor, such as lime. And since the sweetness of mangoes varies quite a bit, taste the mixture before freezing, so you can add more honey while it's still possible to blend it in. After the sherbet is frozen, added honey just globs up.

MANGO-LIME SHERBET (VEGAN)

1 lg. mango
2 tsp. lime juice
1-3 tsp. honey or vegan sweetener (to taste)
1 cup rice milk

Peel the mango and cut the fruit off the fibrous central pit area. Be sure to cut off just the soft fruit--chewy mango fibers aren't great in a mouthful of sherbet.

In a large measuring cup, mash the honey, lime juice, and fruit together with a fork or hand-held blender. Taste, and add more honey if needed. Add rice milk up to the 2-cup mark and stir well.

Freeze in an ice cream maker, according to directions. I use a Donvier.

Makes 4 servings, or 2 large servings.

2 comments:

  1. ya know I must be doing something wrong. my ice cream maker doesn't do so well freezing rice milk.

    I have dark chocolate almond milk to drink and thought about freezing that and make it into ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... the only times I have had a problem getting a good freeze were when I used a whole lot of honey, and when I didn't have the freezer-liner-thingy cold enough. I have to be sure to put it in the back of the freezer for maybe 15-20 hours to get it cold enough.

    If your almond milk is already sweetened, it might freeze up just fine. I'll bet it will taste awesome!

    One thing I have figured out is that after freezing, if it's not sweet enough, sometimes it helps to sprinkle a bunch of cinnamon on it. We did that last night with plum sherbet that was just too tart. That saved it.

    ReplyDelete