Monday, July 4, 2011

Independence Day Repast



When we have guests for the 4th of July, I always put on a spread that features salads. This year's meal took place yesterday, a day early, with three of us. Here's the menu:

Summer Sangria (non-alcoholic)
Tangy Potato Salad
Pea Salad
Carrot Salad
Watermelon Points
Key Lime Pie

I'm still refining most of the recipes, so I won't be posting them this year. Since I have switched to mayonnaise-less dressings, a bit of tweaking is still needed to get them to the super-good level. For the key lime pie filling, I used a recipe that I found in Mary Janes Farm magazine, June/July 2011 - it makes enough to fill one baked pie crust perfectly, and this stuff is to-die-for.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! It all looks so tasty! I am intrigued by "tangy potato salad."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sara... it was very tasty. The tangy potato salad was tangy because I put a vinaigrette dressing on it instead of a creamy dressing. The other salads had creamy dressings, so I thought I'd do something different with this one. I have to say that it was a bit too tangy, so next year I'll modify it a little. It had cooked potato chunks, chopped sweet pickles, chopped celery, chopped parsley, and a basic vinaigrette with Dijon mustard. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O you would probably love my husbands Hawaiian sweet potato salad. It uses olive oil garlic and cilantro as the dressing. so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal: you are right! In fact, I have some sweet potatoes in the pantry. Got a recipe?

    ReplyDelete