Thursday, June 9, 2011

Veneta Donaldson: "His Mother's Prayer"


A soldier from Veneta's family photos, early 1900s

This young man was probably Veneta's mother's brother, by the family resemblance seen in his face. My aunt was a child during World War I, and a working-girl during World War II. During that time she wrote this poem, which made me teary-eyed when I read it, reminding me of my own son of that age.

His Mother's Prayer
by Veneta Donaldson

Dear God, Thy mercy I beseech
Upon my son bestow this day;
And place within his sweet, young reach
The glory of his star-bound way.
But if he seeks Thy house for rest --
So like a lone bird's trusting flight
When by Thy mighty wisdom blessed --
O guide him home through starless night.


A note about religion: Veneta was a smart, sophisticated career woman who lived and worked in one of Texas' major cities. Having been raised in a small town in the early 20th century, religion was a "given" for her. It was like the Sun coming up every morning, a normal part of everyone's life. We in the 21st century have a rather different perspective on religion in its diverse forms and expressions--sometimes rare and special, sometimes pervasive.

The next poem in this series can be found here: Reiteration.

This is part of a series of poems by Veneta Donaldson. A brief bio and the beginning of the series can be found here: Veneta Donaldson: A Poet in the Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment