Saturday, January 2, 2010
This is a wide-striped variation on the Witch Warmers pattern (knit version). It uses a variegated yarn for 2 stripes, coupled with a coordinating solid. The yarns are both Hobby Lobby's "I Love This Yarn" in sportweight: Dark Olive and Autumn Multi. *
Here's how to make them from the pattern:
1. Make a gauge swatch. This yarn knitted up smaller than the sportweight yarn used in the pattern. I had to make a size larger to get a size x-small. I decided not to use larger needles to get gauge, because the stitches would come out loose enough to not be so warm anymore.
2. Follow the notes for the short-version wristwarmers.
3. Knit the ruffle and the first 2 stripes of the pattern in Dark Olive, or your solid main color.
4. Alternate the remaining wrist stripes this way: 2 stripes all variegated, then 2 stripes all solid color, 2 more stripes variegated.
5. Skip to the top section and work all in solid color.
You can find more variations for Witch Warmers here:
Evening Length: I'd Open a Vein for You Armwarmers
Short Witch Warmers
* Photos feature my newly married daughter's beautiful harpist-hands.