Sunday, July 7, 2013

Veneta Donaldson: I Watched a Star


Drawing  by C.L. Donaldson
all rights reserved

Here's a poem by my aunt, that I like for summer.  She always tried to find deep meaning in nature, and I think she succeeded.  The drawing above, was done by her husband in 1937 when he was in high school, as the cover of his geography notebook.  The teacher kept this notebook for 20 years as an example of good work, and returned it to him in 1957.  Young Clyde grew up to be an artist and draftsman for the  Army Corps of Engineers.

I Watched a Star
by Veneta Donaldson

I watched a star above a hill,
When all of life was quiet, still;
It shone upon a town below
As though it loved its people so.

And as I stood there, lost in thought,
I wondered why such havoc's wrought;
For there's a star above each town
To guide it upward - never down.


This is part of a group of poems by Veneta Donaldson. A brief bio and the beginning of the series can be found here: Veneta Donaldson: A Poet in the Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment