Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Veneta Donaldson: "Summer's Child"


Veneta Donaldson with niece, June 1958

Since today is the Summer Solstice, it's a good day for this poem. The photo shows Veneta with me, taken around the time of Summer Solstice in 1958. I happen to have been born in the summer, but she wrote this poem many years before my time.


Summer's Child
by Veneta Donaldson

Sweet Summer's child I saw today,
Whose piquant features were designed
By playful breeze and ocean spray
Upon a shore with seashells lined.

Sweet Summer's child I saw today,
A child so gravely young and fair;
I watched her joyfully at play
With sunbeams glistening in her hair.

Oh child of breeze and ocean mist
The world is lovelier for you;
A creature whom the sun has kissed,
Yet left as fresh as morning dew.


The next poem in this series can be found here: Haven.

This is part of a series of poems by Veneta Donaldson. A brief bio and the beginning of the series can be found here: Veneta Donaldson: A Poet in the Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment