Friday, April 22, 2011

A Conversation with Absinthia, Part 3

Three Mile Island Protest

This is part of a continuing series of email letters exchanged with my Swedish friend, Absinthia. To see the whole series, start with Do the Right Thing.

Dear Absinthia,

Thank you for what you have written about the cold war and nuclear accidents. The Three Mile Island meltdown was a big deal here in the US, but Americans are so influenced by the media, that the corporate powers and politicians can usually get public opinion turned back around to their way of thinking after something like that. At the time I was very concerned, but I was in my early 20s, and I had grown up from my radical, activist days. My focus then was on graduating and getting married.

Sometimes I think that the life of an activist is very upsetting all the time. You have to be negative, loud, and very out-there with your emotions. I just couldn’t keep it up and still have a decent personal life.

I like to comfort myself with the thought that karma brings us the life lessons we need, and that means if I’m supposed to be safe, I’ll be safe. And if I’m supposed to get radiation sickness, I will. But either way, the best lessons that I need are presented in life. Same with everyone else.

However, there is a very important element missing in that attitude: compassion. If we, as humans, take care of our fellow humans and the Earth, we will grow as a sentient species. And that’s a pretty important thing to try to help along.

So finally, I have come to the point where I don’t worry about things very much, and if my intuition tells me to speak out or take action, I do. That’s the only way I can keep living this life and still be happy.

-amanda

This conversation is continued with Absinthia's reply:
A Conversation with Absinthia, Part 4.


Chernobyl Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment